With transportation being the backbone of any organization, the transportation business is significantly changing due to technology advancements as it has multiple advantages.
Global positioning technology (GPS) has fully reshaped the model of the logistics industry.
In addition, the blooming development of smart inventions, gadgets, apps, and other internet-related devices is constantly taking the GPS to the next level and offer greater solutions to the customers.
Making effective fleet management, resource planning and transportation management is a challenging task and increasingly demanding, since the supply chains are becoming more complex.
Unfortunately, the transportation management system does not bestow the level of automation and visibility that an organization needs.
Here comes the role of GPS tracking systems that lay hands to the organization to automate the process.
Integrating GPS tracking systems into overall transportation management fills every gap between the organization, drivers, vehicles, shippers, and even the end customers.
What is transportation management?
A transportation management software is a logistics platform that maneuvers advanced technologies like GPS tracking, vehicle tracking system, and GPS devices to plan and execute the movements of the goods.
A transport management system connects all the elements of the supply system from the manufacturing team to distributors virtually. They can access the shipment details in real-time from anywhere anytime.
The data collected in the transportation management system can be turned into an analytical study of the supply chain to optimize fleet utilization, fuel management, cost control, etc.
The optimization journey of any organization starts here.
Benefits of a transportation management system
A transportation management system plays a critical role in the supply chain to effectively optimize the logistics systems which impact the business in many ways. Some of the benefits include,
- Improved transparency: Awareness of every single step in the supply chain lend hands to the organization to improve the efficiency by highlighting the areas which need improvement and confirms the consumers that their goods will reach on time in good condition
- Better consumer satisfaction: With an effective transportation management system, an organization can avoid unnecessary disturbances and speed up its deliveries reliably.
- Cost control: A proper transportation management system gives full control over the fleets as it goes out and moves into the facility. It helps to optimize order processing and deliveries which in turn cut down cost-effectively.
How does a transportation management system work?
A transportation management system is a perfect solution to automate and streamline the dispatching procedures, from packaging, loading and unloading goods to selecting the carrier to shipping details and invoicing.
The transportation management system software is mainly used by industries that receive and dispatch products regularly, like logistics providers, distributors and manufacturers, and retail and e-commerce businesses.
However, a transportation management system can have some shortcomings, such as manual errors, delays in shipping and deliveries, and lack of accuracy.
A GPS tracking system comes as the savior to managing all the hassles,.
Integrating GPS tracking solution into transportation management
By integrating GPS tracking solutions into transportation management systems, organizations can keep an eye on the products in the near real-time.
The use of GPS vehicle tracking software is to know the whereabouts of the vehicle from anywhere anytime.
This feature enables any manager to find the location of the vehicle whether it is in motion or at rest, the direction of the vehicle, and the traffic around the area.
The vehicle tracking system also helps to monitor the vehicle’s speed, idling, engine shut-down and start-ups, routes, and fuel usage.
GPS devices are also capable of locating stolen vehicles accurately. In the transportation and logistics industry, strong control over vehicles is necessary for growth.
Benefits of integrating GPS tracking solution into transportation management
The advancement in the GPS tracking system bestows various benefits to the transportation industries such as automating back-office, procedures, shipping, communication, and performance of the fleets.
A vehicle tracking system also provides control over the fleets and manpower which leads to better fleet utilization.
Below are some of the various benefits of a GPS tracking system are,
- Fleet management
- Driver safety and performance
- Resource optimization
- Reduce administrative resources
- Better efficiency
- Better cost assessment
- Quality customer services
- Minimal theft risks
Tips to choose the best GPS tracking system
Few good tips to choose the best GPS tracking system to integrate into a transportation management system are discussed below
- It should provide constant 2-way communication with the fleet.
- Drivers should have quick access to the shift schedules for better performance.
- Automation of in-vehicle loads and departures is required.
- Drivers are the spine of any organization. Hence driver’s behavior should be monitored for their safety.
- Fuel cost can be monitored along with the mileage for cost control.
- Notifications regarding any emergencies can be sent at instant since a lot of money is at a stake.
- Customization based on own requirements is mandatory for better efficiency and optimization.
GPS technology is mandatory for any transportation or logistics industry. By combining the GPS’s plethora of benefits, the business can achieve great success holistically.